}

2 January 2012

2012 Highlights

Quality time with the family in Cape Town and The Orange River, photographing wildlife in The Kruger National Park and fun times with Dani



Priceless Moments
  • The amazing fireworks on New Year's eve which I photographed from my own secret spot in Ball's Head.
  • Deciding that, like my dad, I look better with a beard.
  • Capturing lots of action at the Penrith Whitewater Centre with the camera club and stopping off at the Spur (a South African institution) for a pecan nut sundae (one of my favourite things as a kid).
  • Mum and Mike visiting Sydney after a cruise on the Queen Mary and doing some fun outings with them including Blue MountainsCremorne PointWatson's Bay and Palm Beach.
  • A fun day of steam with the camera club and thinking of dad, who would have loved it.
  • Doing a weekend workshop with Behram Ghista, a Buddhist teacher (thanks to Nerium, a new found friend), that set me back on my spiritual path of meditation and mindfulness.
  • Joining an Eckhart Tolle group in Kirribilli and the beautiful, loving, indomitable Jilly coming into my life.  
  • Through Jilly, joining a wonderful Saturday meditation group run by wonderful Geraldine.
  • Lots of mindful walks around Berry Island and Balls Head.
  • Any time spent with gorgeous Mack.
  • Buying a Kindle, one of my best ever purchases.
  • Crawling on my belly on The Newcastle mud flats to photograph birds and the wondrous sight of millions of soldier crabs.
  • Playing weekly tennis with Brendan and having some titanic battles. 
  • A fun weekend away at the Hunter's Valley with great people from the camera club and getting to photograph hot air balloons and beautiful horses and birds.
  • A great day outing to Robertson and getting to admire the amazing autumn colours.  
  • Meeting the beautiful Dani at the Kirribilli Hotel pub and being so smitten that I forgot to pay for our drinks and had the bartender run after me!
  • My first real date with Dani - rollerblading near Manly - where I got to hold her hand and feel even more smitten.
  • Photographing the Vivid Festival with Sue and Guy , the three amigos together again.
  • Doing the Two Creeks Hike with Dani.
  • Photographing a gorgeous black swan with its chicks at Bicentennial Park. 
  • Whale watching with Dani and dolphins swimming alongside our boat.
  • Ice skating with Dani, always such a romantic thing to do.
  • A wonderful weekend at the Blue Mountains where we did two lovely hikes.
  • Being blissfully reunited in Cape Town with my family and frolicking  with Matt and Sam by the pool.
  • Paddling down the Orange River with my family through gorgeous desert scenery and especially the awe inspiring stars on the final night.
  • Three unforgettable weeks in The Kruger National Park by myself where I had a wondrous encounter with a leopard, got great shots of birds and had a very close shave with a bull elephant. 
  • Spending an evening with Jo in Joberg on my way back from the Kruger to Sydney, helping me to get over my end-of-holiday blues.
  • Getting to wear a mullet and leopard trousers at Dani's fun 40th birthday party in The Blue Mountains.
  • Getting to experience Mattias Klum, one of National Geographic's top nature photographers, present his life's work at The Opera House. 
  • Spending Xmas at Nambucca Heads with Dani's family on their macadamia nut farm and getting to see Regent Bowerbird, a bird I've wanted to see for ages.
  • Exploring the gorgeous waterfalls and rain forests along the Waterfall Way.
  • A sensational hike in the Cathedral Rock National Park where we needed to use chains to scramble up mighty boulders to a incredible view.
  • Cycling around Dubbo Zoo, photographing cute critters.


Less happy moments
  • Thomas Pham, a photographer buddy, passing away from cancer.
  • Getting a bad cold and fever on day two of the 5 day Orange River trip in sweltering heat.  My lovely sister saved my life by being my engine.


New friends met this year


Favourite Movies
  • Prometheus
  • Argo
  • Skyfall
  • The Descendants
  • The Separation




2012 Index of Links


Holiday in South Africa  (late Sep - early Nov)


Christmas Roadtrip with Dani


Fun times with Dani


Mum and Mike visit Sydney  (Feb)


Photography outings


Everyday life


Related


0 comments:

Clicky